December 13 - 7-Hour National USPAP Update Course - Rockville, MD Click here for details.
December 14 - Business Practices and Ethics - Rockville, MD Click here for details.
View Appraisal Institute Education Nationwide
Matthew A. Smith, MAI
Sidney V. Tidwell, MAI
Peter Sayres Rawlings, Jr.
Back to Top
Are you interested in helping to grow the ranks of designated members? If so, you can help Candidates for Designation by becoming an Advisor for Candidates. Key roles and responsibilities for Advisors are as follows:
- To know the basic requirements for the MAI and/or SRA designations.
- To have regular contact (at least quarterly) with the Candidate in person, via phone and/or via email;
- To respond to the Candidate’s questions, concerns, and requests as appropriate;
- To encourage and help the Candidate with creating achievable timelines for completing designation requirements;
- To monitor the Candidate’s progress towards designated membership on the timelines created and to encourage the Candidate to be accountable for meeting such timelines;
- To encourage the Candidate to complete all designation requirements and become a Designated Member;
- To guide the Candidate to appropriate resources, such as Appraisal Institute admissions staff members and information on the Appraisal Institute web site;
- To coach the Candidate through active listening, observation and support;and
- To encourage the Candidate to manage his/her own learning.
For more information, go to the advisor information section of the Candidate for Designation portion of our website at this link.
Back to Top
A statistically significant higher proportion of designated members earn more than $100,000 per year compared to associate members and nonmember appraisers. Click here for a salary comparison.
Back to Top
60 members of the metro area appraisal community got together for an update on the economic outlook for real estate in the Metro DC area. Attendees received an overall economic review as well as individual reports for commercial finance, retail and office segments of the real estate market. Presenters addressed current inventory, projected supply and demand and investment dynamics for each market segment.
Click the links below to see a copy of each speaker's slide deck.
- Grant Montgomery – Vice President, Delta Associates – General Economic and Multifamily Outlook - Presentation
- R. William Kent - Executive Vice President, CBRE – Retail Market - Presentation
- Stephen "Dek" Potts, Jr. - Senior Managing Director, HFF – Office Market - Presentation
- Mike Yavinsky - Executive Vice President, Jones Lang LaSalle Americas, Inc. – Commercial Real Estate Finance - Presentation
Following dinner, AIDC President, Don Boucher, SRA presented an MAI certificate to newly designated member, Matthew A. Smith.
Back to Top
Why building green results in higher profit and increased satisfaction for investors, owners and tenants.
Building and retrofitting green is generally a given in the DC/MD/VA market. This joint workshop hosted by NAIOP Maryland/DC's Sustainable Development Committee and the Appraisal Institute's DC and Maryland Chapters will explore:
- How to quantify the change in market value for green initiatives in new or existing buildings?
- How to develop an objective analysis of which green strategies offer the most bang for your buck (or "value")?
- Why building green attracts investors and tenants?
- Harder to quantify benefits of green buildings: including, brand, recruiting, retention and productivity.
Moderator: Leanne Tobias, Managing Principal, Malachite LLC. Leanne is a leading expert on green building finance and investment and the author of ULI's "Retrofitting Office Buildings to be Green and Energy Efficient"
- Cliff Majersik - Executive Director of the Institute for Market Transformation
- Theddi Wright Chappell, Senior Managing Director, Cushman & Wakefield, Green Advisory Practice
- Terry Dunkin - Former National President of the Appraisal Institute and current President of FIABCI's Council of Experts
CE: 2 Hours Approved for AI Credit
Date: December 4, 2012
Time: 11:30 AM 1:45 PM
Location: The Hamilton
600 14th Street (14th & F Streets)
Washington, DC 20005
Metro: Metro Center
Fees (LUNCH INCLUDED):
NAIOP Maryland/DC and Appraisal Institute Members: $65
Click here to register.
Back to Top
USPAP 7-Hour Update - December 13: This one-day update course, copyrighted by The Appraisal Foundation, focuses on recent changes to USPAP requirements for ethical behavior and competent performance by appraisers. The course, which clarifies several commonly misunderstood aspects of USPAP, will aid appraisers in all areas of appraisal practice seeking updated competency in USPAP, including those subject to state licensing or certification and continuing education requirements imposed by professional organizations, client groups, or employers. Click here for details.
Business Practices & Ethics - December 14: This course addresses topics that were not included in the older version such as International Standards, diversity, and Regulation No. 5. The examples and case studies address real-life, up-to-date matters such as mortgage fraud and advocacy. The course contains relevant and much-needed information for members. The content emphasizes
- which standards apply to Appraisal Institute members and when they apply
- the key principles of the Code of Professional Ethics and Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice of the Appraisal Institute
- how to identify and avoid behavior that violates the Code of Professional Ethics
- the correct way for Associate and Designated Members to use the Appraisal Institute's designations, emblems, and logo
- how the Appraisal Institute's enforcement process works and what it means to an individual member
- the importance of diversity as business strategy
- business practices that are unacceptable in a customer service industry such as appraisal practice and ways to avoid unacceptable practices
Click here for details.
Both classes will be taught by top-rated instructor, David Lennhoff, MAI, SRA
Back to Top
Online Education: Learn at your own pace anytime, anywhere.
Top-notch Appraisal Institute courses and seminars come straight to your desktop with online education! Learn from any computer anywhere, whenever you have time. It’s easy, convenient and a great way to get the education you want. Check out the current course listing now!